Marietta Mine and Town Southeast
of Mina. Lots of wild horses. Old ghost town. Easy access on good
dirt road. Mines on hill above town. 38 36.8n 117 5.35w
Moho Mountain Quad.
Marietta was a source of salt and borax starting about 1867. Marietta
became a town in 1877 and within one year contained 150 people, 13 saloons, a
post office, several stores, and many stone and adobe huts. The borax
plants maintained productions until the 1890's and were then abandoned for the
more prosperous sites in Death Valley.
Click a picture to see a larger view.